Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Liane Moriarty

I  like to read relevant, contextual books. So when I'm in Paris, a romantic novel about Paris, when I'm on a trekking trip, something like Jeffery Archer's 'Paths of Glory'.

And so, in Australia, living the Aussie life,  I am really enjoying some Aussie authors with their incredibly Aussie references. I loved 'The Rosie Project' by Graeme Simsion. Its based in Melbourne,  so can't get any closer to home than that. I also liked short stories by Monica McInerney, and a random book I picked up called best Aussie short stories 2014.

But the author I'm really starting to respect is Liane Moriarty. 

Her stories are brilliant,  entertaining and always end up teaching me something.  The references to Melbourne are not as precise as Sydney.. her characters always go on a work trip to Melbourne but live in Sydney. I can tell that Liane must have lived in Sydney herself.... Melbourne references are vague enough to confirm that.  But her characters are delightful,  you can't help loving them. I often decide to write about her books after I've finished them, but this time I finally got to it while in the middle of one.

So far, I have read The husband's secret, Big little lies and 'What Alice Forgot'. All very well written... ah I'm smitten. Just started 'The hypnotist's love story' ... and what can I say...  its a hypnotic love story for sure. With a combination of romance, real life drama and an element of suspense too.

Ellen, the hypnotist herself, has a vivid imagination,  which reminds me of Nina from the TV show Offspring (also based in Melbourne), which in turn reminds me of Ally McBeal.

Happy happy...will write more once I finish, I'm sure I won't be disappointed by the ending. All her books have that in common.  All stories brilliantly tie up in the end... making you go. ... Yes! More pease, Moriarty. 

No comments: